In an increasingly global economy, international experience for Indiana University MBA candidates comes from hands-on work in the field as much as the classroom. A group of students, led by Dr. Phil Powell, travel to Peru to help local entrepreneurs tackle business challenges using cutting edge business practices. The Kelley MBA GLOBASE initiative provides a unique social enterprise experience by partnering with Peruvian businesses to make a global impact.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Off to the office this Monday - in Lima, Peru

The GLOBASE Peru teams got down to business at 9am this morning (or a little later than scheduled - to match business norms in Latin America) with a welcome breakfast at the hotel with the clients this morning. Teams have personally worked with the clients since January when they visited Bloomington to kickoff the projects. After breakfast, teams headed off "to the office" to start their week of consulting work and site visits. Teams completed about 70% of their project work before arriving with coaching and support from the student leadership team, Ana, and me. The remaining 30% requires data collection and observations only gained on the ground in Lima.

The student leadership team identified clients working through the American Chamber of Commerce in Peru, our GLOBASE partner in Lima. All six clients are family-owned businesses that are active in the local market. They are a fish processing operation, a food distributor (basic agricultural products), a bamboo company, a furniture manufacturing business, a producer of generic pharmaceutical products, and a startup seeking to commercialize technology for automated picking of papricka peppers.

In concert with the rest of Peru, Sunday was a day of rest and relaxation for everyone. Students napped, familiarized themselves with Miraflores (our part of town) through long walks, and tasted the gastronomically-pleasing local dishes (especially cerviche). We start the work week well-rested and ready to add value in classic Kelley MBA fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment