In an increasingly global economy, international experience for Indiana University MBA candidates comes from hands-on work in the field as much as the classroom. A group of students, led by Dr. Phil Powell, travel to Peru to help local entrepreneurs tackle business challenges using cutting edge business practices. The Kelley MBA GLOBASE initiative provides a unique social enterprise experience by partnering with Peruvian businesses to make a global impact.


Monday, March 16, 2009

Cramped Buses, Digital Cameras, And The Most Amazing Thing I Have Ever Seen

Today I got up at 6:00am, ate a plain breakfast, and boarded a bus. Shortly thereafter we arrived at a train station where we took a 3 hour train ride with backpackers and tourists through what I can only describe as rain forest. Fallen rocks thwarted our first attempt down the main track so after some fancy reverse train driving we found ourselves underway again on the secondary track. We arrived at this small but populated mountain village where we all immediately boarded a warm bus and began a 30 minute climb up some impressively steep switch backs. Then we arrived at Manchu Picchu and it may in fact have been the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

I don’t want my lack of detail on Manchu Picchu to communicate any dullness of experience. Quite the contrary. I hope that my brevity underscores the sheer power of that amazing place. Seeing it is to remember the wonder and excitement of your first Christmas morning, your first kiss, or your first head-over-heels love. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen and despite the many pictures taken, I need none for the impression will never fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment