In an increasingly global economy, international experience for Indiana University MBA candidates comes from hands-on work in the field as much as the classroom. A group of students, led by Dr. Phil Powell, travel to Peru to help local entrepreneurs tackle business challenges using cutting edge business practices. The Kelley MBA GLOBASE initiative provides a unique social enterprise experience by partnering with Peruvian businesses to make a global impact.


Thursday, March 12, 2009

Is The World Smaller, Bigger, or Just Better?

I don't really know where to start.

Today we were onsite with our client. What an amazing experience. This company went way out of their way to ensure we could get all our questions answered. They also gave us a tour of their manufacturing facility. My team is focusing on delivering a great set of recommendations in the hopes of adding value to our client and their business. Despite this focus, I find that I am continually pondering the many nonbusiness things that make their culture different from mine and likewise those things that make it similar. Humor to make people comfortable, kissing on the cheek as a ordinary greeting, a love of sharing favorite dishes over lunch, office politics, helpful co-workers, self-conscienceness, arrogance, and on and on. I don't think I will comment on which of the above are cultural similarities and which are differences because that is not really the point. These thing represent us. As people. We have common ground and unfamiliar ground but we all are standing on it.

I don't really know what my point is here. I guess that I just feel that the world is smaller than I previously thought. There are differences but so many similarities as well. I will resist the urge to say something as silly as "I feel more connected to those around me," but I do think I will end the day with a drink downstairs and strike up a conversation with a stranger not knowing where the topic will go but knowing we can share.

No comments:

Post a Comment